Utilizing knowledge from your learning and assigned readings, respond to the following questions:
- The maintenance of normal volume and composition of extracellular and intracellular fluids is vital to life. List and briefly describe the kinds of homeostasis involved.
- Why does maintaining fluid balance in older people require a higher water intake than in a normal, healthy adult under age 40?
- Why does potassium concentration rise in patients with acidosis? What is this called? What effects does it have?
- Saline solution is used to reverse hypotonic hydration. Are body cell membranes permeable to saline? Explain your response.
- Explain the renin-angiotensin mechanism.
- Explain how ADH compensates for blood that contains too many solutes.