Hot Spot Model Assignment
Dr. Jeffrey Brenner is a physician in Camden, New Jersey who some believe might have the model to solve one of America’s most intractable problems: lowering the cost of health care. While analyzing medical billing data in Camden, N.J., he mapped out “hot spots” of the impoverished city’s high-cost patients. By targeting unique care — including home visits and social workers — at the city’s most costly patients, he developed a program that he argues has both lowered health care costs and provided better care in Camden.
I would like you all to watch the video found below entitled, “Doctor Hotspot”. Once you watched the video, go ahead and read the articles entitled, “Hot Spotters” and “The Hot Spotters Sequel”. Articles are found below.
Video: FRONTLINE | Doctor Hotspot
You canclick here (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.to be directed to the video in youtube. https://youtu.be/0DiwTjeF5AU
- Hot Spotters – The Hot Spotters NewYorkerArticle Gawande-Dr. Brennar.pdf
- The Hot Spotters Sequel – https://www.forbes.com/sites/davechase/2013/04/30/the-hot-spotters-sequel-population-health-heroes/#539437c68a53 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- A Revolutionary Approach to Improving Health Care Delivery: https://www.rwjf.org/en/library/articles-and-news/2014/02/improving-management-of-health-care-superutilizers.html
Once you have done all that, I need you to answer a couple of questions found below. I need you to post your answers in Discussion Board. You have access to this discussion board via week 5 module The aim of this exercise is to get you all to think outside of the box. We need innovative strategies to be tested and implemented in order to direct the US health care system in the right direction. Your post should be between 500 to 1000 words. The questions are as follows:
- Describe and discuss the primary health care issue or issues addressed in the video and articles, and how does the Hot Spot model implemented by Dr. Brenner minimize these major health care issues?
- When you read the follow-up article on Dr. Brenner’s health care model and how others have implemented it, in your opinion, is this a model that can be implemented throughout the US? If so, how would it impact the current health care system? If not, why not? What are some of the challenges that we would have to face if such a model was to be implemented throughout the US? Please be sure to include the pros and cons of this model when looking at different aspects of our health care system (ex. Quality, cost, and access).
*If other sources are used in your response, be sure to cite your source properly and include the full APA reference at the end of your post.