Applying Binomial Distributions
The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week on the basis of the course competencies covered.
For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by thedue date assigned.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use the South University Online Library. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ initial postings. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Cite sources in your responses to other classmates. Complete your participation for this assignment bythe end of the week.
From the South University Online Library, read the following article:
- Explicit Alternative Testing: Application of the Binomial Probability Distribution to Clinical-Forensic Evaluations(Also available as a PDF)
Note: If you are using Internet Explorer, please use the second link above, “Also available as a PDF,” to download the PDF.
On the basis of your reading, respond to the following questions:
- The authors of the article identify several examples of how the binomial distribution can be used in the criminal justice system. Select one of the four examples and describe how the binomial probability distribution was used in this real-world situation.
- What evidence do the authors provide that suspect MT was actually innocent? How did the binomial distribution predict his eventual release?
- The authors created a series of “yes/no” or “true/false” questionnaires to deliver to potential suspects. How could you apply this technique to your proposed research study? Would a binomial distribution be appropriate to your topic and your approach?
Review at least two of your classmates’ posts on the basis of the following questions:
- What are the similarities and differences between your classmates’ assessments of the utility of binomial distributions and your own?
- How did your classmates’ posts improve your own understanding of the utility of binomial distributions in criminal justice research? Include any questions you may have that, if answered, would clarify your classmates’ assessments of this research methodology.
Week 4 DiscussionDiscussion Topic Due May 20 at 11:59 PM